Television Costars Refuse To Speak

SOLVED!

[BlindGossip] A while back, this comedic television actor said some very offensive things during a performance. One of his television costars – who took the insult very personally – came down hard on him, and demanded that he refrain from ever repeating the offending material again. The actor refused, claiming that he had to be true to himself as a performer, and that controversial material was part of his persona. The costar, who wields more power on the show, told the actor that he would be fired if he didn’t make amends for his transgressions. So he relented and finally did apologize… very reluctantly. He told friends that he would never forgive the co-star for making him do the walk of shame. Although they are still on the same show, their relationship is very rocky, and the two do not speak at all unless they are in a scene together.

Actor:

Costar:

TV Show:

SOLVED!

It’s Tracy Morgan and Tina Fey of 30 Rock! Source: BlindGossip

Morgan made derogatory comments about gay people in the summer of 2011, and Fey made him apologize for it.

However, neither of them ever really got over it, and now do not speak unless absolutely necessary. If they ever do interviews or other promotional events or awards shows together, they are very collegial with each other, and you would never know that there is a problem. Remember, they are both very good actors.

It’s a shame, because the two of them used to be good friends. Morgan credited Tina Fey for being one of the very few people who really understood him. He even got choked up on Oprah in 2010 (before all this went down) talking about how grateful he was to Fey for helping him take his career to the next level with 30 Rock.

Here’s the back story to the controversy:

On June 3, 2011, during a performance in Nashville, Tennessee, Morgan made politically incorrect remarks against gay people, reportedly including that, if his son was gay, he’d better speak to him like a man or he would “pull out a knife and stab” him.

Morgan apologized, saying that he had “gone too far”.

NBC Entertainment head Bob Greenblatt stated, “I speak for NBC and myself personally when I say we do not condone hate or violence of any kind, and I am pleased to see Tracy Morgan apologizing for recent homophobic remarks in his standup appearance… Unfortunately, Tracy’s comments reflect negatively on both 30 Rock and NBC — two very all-inclusive and diverse organizations — and we have made it clear to him that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated.”

Tina Fey, Morgan’s boss both in fiction and in real life, said, “I’m glad to hear that Tracy apologized …. but the violent imagery of Tracy’s rant was disturbing to me at a time when homophobic hate crimes continue to be a life-threatening issue for the LGBT community…the Tracy Morgan I know, …is not a hateful man and [would never] hurt another person. I hope for his sake that Tracy’s apology will be accepted as sincere by his gay and lesbian co-workers at 30 Rock, without whom Tracy would not have lines to say, clothes to wear, sets to stand on, scene partners to act with or a printed-out paycheck from accounting to put in his pocket.”

And here is a clip talking about Morgan’s Apology Tour. Please note that although the interviewer says that it was Jordan’s discussion with Russell Simmons that made him realize that he screwed up, it was actually Tina Fey’s “Apologize or get fired” ultimatum that really did the trick:

Canadian and Yuolala were tied for first with he correct guess. Congratulations!

Comments

1. ButterflyLove says

Clue “Rocky relationship”

actor: Tracy Morgan
    costar:Jack McBrayer (he looks gay so I’m guessing it’s him and not Tina fey
    show: 30 Rock

controversy: Tracy anti-gay jokes

• LolaVee says

Although I agree that Jack McBrayer is probably gay, I don’t think he would have the authority to threaten to fire him.

Just because the co-star was angry, doesn’t necessarily mean that they are gay themselves. Tina Fey was pretty outspoken about her disappointment after that incident and she is a supporter of gay rights. Plus, as the executive producer, she has the ability to threaten somebody’s job.

• gimli5 says

It would be pretty rich of Alex “thoughtless little pig” Baldwin to be ragging on anybody for speaking out of turn (not defending Tracy, just saying).

• kangaroov says

Good point.
        Don’t know why I was thinking the co-star was male.
        I jump to the Tina Fey camp (and I would, for her)

2. RileyRox says

Actor: Tracy Morgan
    Costar: Jack McBrayer (though my first thought was either Tina Fey or Alec Baldwin)
    Tv Show: 30 Rock (the word “rocky” in the blind being the clue)

3. ClueMeIn says

Actor: Tracy Morgan (anti-gay rant)

Costar: ?

TV Show: 30 Rock

At least this was the first thing to come to mind. Any help?

4. Gitano says

I almost never get these off the top of my head, but this is so obviously Tracy Morgan and Tina Fey that it might as well not be blind. And “rocky”? C’mon.

5. itssunnyoutside says

I would have guessed Jerry Seinfeld and Michael Richards but that show ended… Or Dr Mcdreamy and Isiah whats his name on Greys Anatomy but I don’t know if that show is still on either.

• amyls18 says

Can’t be Isiah Washington and Patrick Dempsey because Isiah Washington is no longer on Greys. The blind state sthat they are both still on the show.

• liberache says

He told friends that he would never forgive the co-star for making him do the “the walk of shame”.

Chris Parnell used to be a regular on SNL where this phrase originated from.

“Wayne” from Saturday Night Live’s “Wayne’s World” was embarrassed that his Mom was taking Aerosmith on a tour of their house, i.e.

Oh no! Mom’s taking Steven Tyler on a tour of the house. The walk of shame!

• liberache says

Also “amends for his transgressions” refers to purgatory from the portmanteau word “Suburgatory” made up of “suburban” and “purgatory” :)

6. naughtydog says

First time poster, also first time I really think I know who this blind is about.

Actor: Tracy Morgan
    Costar: Tina Fey
    TV Show: 30 Rock

‘Their relationship is very rocky’ being the clue. He made some homophobic remarks during a performance and she was not happy about it. She is also an executive producer and head writer of the show.

Love this site!

7. mimipoo says

Maybe too obvious: Alec Baldwin being furious at Tracy Morgan for making offensive gay jokes during his life show.

“rocky” being a hint at 30 Rock?

8. rita leeds says

This fits Tracy Morgan and 30 Rock but I can’t work out who the co-star would be. Only Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin would wield more power than him, but Fey isn’t just a co-star and Baldwin is always involved in controversies himself so you would think he wouldn’t come down hard on Morgan.

9. LolaVee says

Tracy Morgan for the actor(I just call him an idiot).

Tina Fey for the co-star. She’s the executive producer & writer and has the power to fire somebody.

The show being 30 Rock (clues… “rocky”).

10. iammeme says

Tracey Morgan, Tina Fey, 30 Rock

I can totally see him saying that his anti-gay rants are just a part of him and I can totally see her letting him know she can fire him, in a snap.

11. DinkinFlicka says

Actor: Tracey Morgan

Costar: ???

Show: 30 Rock

The only stars more powerful than Tracey, I’m guessing, are Tina and Alec. Is Baldwin gay?

12. mankothegreat says

Very rocky, eh? Show is 30 Rock, with Tracy Morgan/Jordan being the culprit. I’m gonna go with Baldwin as the costar, as I think Fey would be more understanding of comedians making controversial jokes.

13. Rafael says

EASY AS PIE!

Actor: Tracey Morgan
    CoStar: Tina Fey
    Show: 30 Rock

Good on her. She needs to fire him. I would have found an excuse years ago.

14. Miss Chief says

I rekon the show is 30 Rock with the clue “their relationship is very rocky” and the actor is Tracy Morgan. He went on a massive homophobic rant during a stand-up routine. Not sure whether the co-star is Ms Tina Fey or Jack McBreyer (Kenneth)…

15. TheYellowDart says

Tracy Morgan as the comedic television actor, and the show is “30 Rock” (i.e. “their relationship is very rocky”). The costar must be Tina Fey, but why would she take it “very personally”?…

16. smd1004p says

well the actor is for sure tracy morgan- he made a very homophobic comment during a performance

17. smd1004p says

and tina fey made a public statement how she found his comment to be “disturbing” altough he is not a hateful person

18. NeedNoStinkinBadges says

I’m sure a thousand have already guessed by now, but here goes.

Tracy Morgan

Tina Fey

30 Rock

19. louloulittlefeet says

Actor: Tracy Morgan
    Costar: Tina Fey
    TV Show: 30 Rock

Morgan made extremely offensive homophobic remarks during his stand up routine and reluctantly “apologized” later.

20. Aceticle says

Seems like Tracy Morgan and Tina Fey (or maybe Tracy and Alec Baldwin?). Tracy Morgan has made some pretty offensive comments about gay people, and Tina and Alec are both powerful personae known for being liberal.

21. jujubee says

Actor: Tracy Morgan
    Costar: Tina Fey (wields a lot more power, though I don’t know why she’d take the homophobic remarks more personally)
    TV Show: 30 Rock

22. AriiEcho says

Tracy Morgan and Tina Fey on 30 Rock?

It’s kind of an old story but since there is a clue “rocky” I think it could be right.

23. pat362 says

The comedic actor: Tracy Morgan.
    The costar: Tina Fey.
    The show: 30 Rock.

Tracy can say whatever he likes but if I were him then I’d be quite thankfull to Tina because there aren’t many ex-SNL actors working these days. You piss her off and she can find his replacement in 2 seconds.

24. Redladyj06 says

I think it’s Tracy Morgan and Tina Fey, the show 30 rock with the hint at ‘rocky’ relationship. I think the comment was his stand up about gay people being so sensitive and ‘If you can take a *beep* you can take a joke’. I just am not sure how the comment would effect her

25. tnm0425 says

30 Rock — Tracy Morgan’s well-known homophobic standup routine also included a segment saying “that successful women are the downfall of society and attempted to shift blame to women for many of the problems plaguing young people” (from Popeater: http://www.popeater.com/2011/06/10/tina-fey-tracy-morgan-homophobic-rant/)

Tina Fey made a statement to TMZ essentially scolding Tracy for what he said and she definitely has a lot more power on the show than Tracy.

also their relationship is very “rocky” — 30 Rock